It is important to Remember however that when you are reading the bible, you are not just reading some stories, you are reading God's word . . . God is speaking to you!
There are many different plans available to help you read through the Bible in a year, but here is a plan that I have found very useful in past years. It is called 'The Discipleship journal reading plan' and provides readings for 25 days a month. This is handy if you find yourself falling behind in your reading or if you want to go back and look at a particular passage in more detail.
Here are six short tips to Help you when reading the bible:
- Pray before you start reading- Ask God to speak to you through His word and pray for help to understand what you are reading.
- Read your bible at the start of each day- Although we all have busy schedules, it is great to begin the day in God's word and it helps put you in the right frame of mind for the rest of the day
- Maintain your reading plan- This helps you stick to a routine and you can jot down what you have learnt so far.
- When busyness approaches read ahead- Although this plan is a good guide to help you read the bible in a year don't limit your reading. Read ahead that way you can ensure you will stay on track.
- Keep a notepad and pen handy- It is a good idea to jot down notes of things God has revealed to you through His word, questions you may have, and lessons you can take away.
- Hide God's word in your heart- The Psalmist David could write 'Thy word have I hide in mine heart that I might not sin against Thee' It is important to not only read God's word but to apply it to our lives. Just like medicine is no good to you unless you take it likewise the Bible must be trusted and obeyed. It is good to memorise verses. Maybe you could jot down a verse on a piece of paper and keep it in your pocket to look at throughout the day. When you hide God's word in your heart, you will be amazed at what you will learn.
2 Timothy 3:16-17